Sunday, June 10, 2012

Battle of the Bottle

One of the things I've learned is that in parenting there are many battles. However, one that I strongly feel I will never win is the battle of the bottles. Those of you who have yet to adventure into the "no turning back" path of parenting, may read this and think I've lost my mind, or simply that I'm just being silly Nicky. Yet, those of you who have had one or more children probably just got a case of chills, sweaty palms and terrifying flashbacks.
For our inexperienced, I must explain. When having a baby there's the obvious: babies drink milk aka booby milk or formula. Now, whether you are a mom that likes to give your personal caprisuns a break, or a mom that simply thinks formula is just as good, bottles are the only source of feeding your child. Duh right?! However, what you may not realize is that babies can eat out a milk warehouse with as much time as they spend eating and with that comes the massive amounts of bottles!
Being the inexperienced mother I was when I first had Leilani, I thought that I would be the conqueror of bottles by cleaning each one right after Leilani ate. Good idea right? Not so much. Eventually this Lt. Mom idea became old and gave me the feeling that my new job was a personal dishwasher. My next step was to soak a couple at a time, especially because the smell of milk became a bit overbearing at times. So, as the day progressed the battle would as well. It got to a point where those sneaky bottles had a motive that would eventually kick my butt. They slowly started piling into the sink without my realization that I was running out of bottles! There's nothing more exciting than rushing to wash bottles while a hungry baby screams "I hate you! Feed me! Now!!" in baby talk of course.
Then my genius friend Andy gave me an idea: buy enough bottles to last you a few days, then you're not washing every day. What he forgot to mention was that more bottles meant more war. After following his advice I've found that now my sink is FOREVER full of bottles...laughing at me. It's turned my washing one bottle at a time when Leilani eats, to washing 5-10 at a time with more on the way. Now, everyday more bottles plot to conquer my sink and I a weak opponent do noting to stop them.
So, now at the end of my blog, I smile at the fact that my sink is finally empty of bottles. I've finally won...and yet....Leilani has just woken up and is now crying for yet another bottle...

No comments:

Post a Comment